published: Tuesday 17 Nov

Current Support: Furlough, Closure and Business Restrictions


Speaking in the Scottish Parliament earlier, the First Minister announced the outcomes of the 2nd review of the COVID-19 Strategic Framework.

  • From this Friday the 20th of November at 6pm, 11 local authority areas in Scotland will be placed into Tier 4 of restrictions including East and West Dunbartonshire.

For the areas going into Tier 4, these measures will be in place from three weeks, as of Friday, and will expire on 11th December.

You can find a full list of what Tier 4 measures entail here – COVID protection level 4.

And more detail behind the Scottish Government’s criteria and rationale for its decision-making here – Coronavirus (COVID-19): local protection levels

Travel restrictions

  • In addition, guidance on travel restrictions in Scotland will become law from Friday.
  • That means people living in level three or level four must not travel outside their own council area, except for certain essential purposes.
  • And those living elsewhere in Scotland must not travel to level three or level four areas, again apart from in limited exceptional circumstances.
  • There is to be no non-essential travel between Scotland and other parts of the UK.
  • Business support

  • The Scottish Government has announced that a new wave of cash grants of up to £3,000 will be made available for businesses impacted by restrictions.
  • There will be a new £30m discretionary fund for councils to provide extra business support where needed.
  • And a £15m fund in funding for newly self-employed people not able to access other support.
  • Key Business Information:


    Only essential retail will be able to remain open in Level 4 providing they follow and have implemented Scottish Government guidance to ensure the safety of customers and staff.

    Click and collect, on-line services and outdoor retail, such as garden centres, outdoor markets and car lots, can also remain open.

    Whilst retailers will implement procedures to ensure the safety of customers and staff it is an individual’s responsibility to ensure they comply with the following guidance:

  • do not visit any retail premises if you have tested positive or have developed any of the COVID-19 symptoms
  • you must wear a face covering when you go into any retail premises including any indoor area of a shopping centre, unless exempt.   Read the face covering policy
  • you must follow direction signs, one way systems and shop capacities if provided by a retail outlet
  • maintain a 2 metre physical distance between people not in your household (or extended household)
  • if shopping with others you must only do so from a maximum of 6 people from up to 2 different households (or extended households)
  • In order to keep transmission rates as low as possible you are also advised to:
  • avoid crowded shops. Try to avoid times when shops will be busy. If you do not think you can maintain social distancing in a shop, come back later
  • visit stores that are using infection control measures and use the available hand sanitiser
  • try to avoid touching goods unless you intend to buy them
  • be polite. Please ensure that you are considerate to retail staff and abide by their guidance and instructions including removing face covering if requested for proof of age
  • shop local and do not travel further than necessary to visit stores
  • be patient – shopping may take longer than you may be used to and you may need to queue for longer as a result.  Please do not smoke when queuing outside shops
  • you should only use public transport for essential shopping where it is not possible in your local council area – you should use on-line shopping or shops, banks and other services in your local area wherever you can
  • Get help: If you have symptoms of COVID-19 and are self-isolating, or are vulnerable or shielding and you need essential items like food or medicine you should request assistance from friends, family, community support groups, make an online order, or call the National Helpline on 0800 111 4000.

    Offices, call centres and other workplaces

    People are advised to work from home wherever that is practicable.

    Businesses which provide essential services can continue to operate, such as those in Critical National Infrastructure (CNI) sector (CNI) sector, courts and tribunals. There are 13 designated CNI sectors including agriculture and food production, activity to maintain the food supply chain, energy and transport.

    Not all CNI activity will be essential. Those operations which can be done effectively through home working should be adopted.

    Outdoor workplaces, construction, manufacturing, veterinary services and film and TV production can also remain open. They should plan for the minimum number of people needed on site to operate safely and effectively.

    Home visits by contractors should only be for essential services.


    Restaurants, cafes, pubs and bars will be closed. Sectors guidance is at: sector guidance for tourism and hospitality

    Takeaways can still operate as normal, provided food and drink is sold for consumption off premises. Face coverings and physical distancing rules must be followed.

    Hotels and other accommodation providers can still serve food to qualifying guests i.e. key or exempt workers, staying in their premises up to 22:00. Room service, including alcohol, is allowed as normal.

    Close contact retail services

    Close contact services and mobile close contact service providers must not operate in Level 4.  Read more: Read more: Guidance for close contact services

    Close contact services includes:

  • hairdressing and barbers
  • beauty and nail services (including make-up)
  • hair removal
  • tattoo, piercing and body modification
  • fashion design, dress-fitting and tailoring
  • indoor portrait photography
  • massage therapies
  • complementary and alternative medicine services requiring physical contact or close physical proximity between persons, but not osteopathy and chiropractic services
  • spa and wellness services
  • other services or procedures which require physical contact or close physical proximity between a provider and a customer and are not ancillary to medical, health, or social care services
  • Leisure and entertainment

    All leisure and entertainment premises must be closed (except for use in limited circumstances).

    Film and TV production can continue to take place. All such activity must be done in compliance with industry guidance.


    All holiday accommodation is closed to tourism.  Hotels, B&Bs and self-catering can remain open for essential customers only:

  • anyone who is using that accommodation for work purposes
  • anyone who requires accommodation to attend a funeral
  • anyone who is providing accommodation or support services to the homeless
  • anyone who uses that accommodation as their main residence
  • anyone who needs accommodation while moving home
  • anyone who is unable to return to their main residence
  • When providing accommodation to workers, this should only be open for essential workers who require accommodation as part of their role. Workers accommodation guidance.

    Breaching the restrictions in the Regulations is a criminal offence, unless you have a “reasonable excuse” for doing so. This means that accommodation providers may offer accommodation to customers in other circumstances provided it is an essential purpose. An example of this would be where someone needs accommodation for an essential hospital visit.

    In line with Competition and Markets Authority guidance, a full refund should be offered to customers who booked holiday homes, but could not stay in them due to lockdown restrictions.  The regulation of consumer protection is the responsibility of the UK Government at Westminster. The Competition and Markets Authority has issued guidance to businesses and consumers about refunds

    Travel and transport

    Travel restrictions will be put into law on 20 November to further enforce the current guidance that restricts people who live in a Level 3 or Level 4 local authority area from travelling outside their local authority except for an essential purpose – such as work or caring responsibilities.

    The regulations also prevent non-essential travel into a Level 3 or 4 local authority area, except for the same reasons.

    See: travel and transport guidance.